News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: TEENAGE PELVIC EXAM

BILLACE24 - Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:37 pm

I'LL BE GOING FOR MY FIRST PELVIC EXAM I AM VERY SCARED I'VE HEARD HORROR STORIES I'M ALSO SCARED FOR A MALE DOCTOR TO SEE ME NUD E COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT THEY WILL DO DURING THE EXAM
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:13 pm

User avatar Do not be scared. If you are uncomfortable with amale doctor, you can request a female, but remember, this is what the doctor does, this is his job, he sees naked woman all the time, and he is used to it.
As for the exam, you will lie back on an exam table, with your feet in stirrups. The doctor will insert a spectulum into the vagina. This kind of looks like a curling iron and it is to open the vagina so they can see into it to locate the cervix.This is not painful. The doctor will take a swab of your cervix, this is called a pap smear. It is to test for cervical abnormalities. It will pinch a little bit, but it is over in a second. Then the doctor will insert a finger into your vagina, and place a hand on your stomache. This is to feel the ovaries to see if there are any cysts.This should not be painful. The doctor may also take aditional swabs of the vagina to test for STDs if you request it. The doctor may also perform a breast exam to feel for any lumps. This is not painful.
The whole exam does not take very long at all, and although uncomfortable, it is a nessessary part of being a healthy woman.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here