Question: 5 year old son

Blackrose72 - Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:59 am

My son had a check up two weeks ago. The doctors found a very small amount of blood in his urine. Not enough too see with your eyes. They wanted to test him in two weeks. He had another test yesterday. They found less blood but still found some. They want to wait until the first of the year to run another test on him. The doctors asked if he hurt himself, which I don't think he did not. Is this normal for them to wait so long to run another test? I'm worried something could be wrong and it should be looked at right away.

Thank you.
 tonyia18 - Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:56 pm

well moms know best, if the doctors are waiting maybe they arent to concerned with it, if you fell the test should be done sooner you are the mother and have the right to request the test done sooner....
all you can do is pray and ask got to help you with the situation do some research on the subject... maybe he may have a kindney infection its rare but possible.......
good luck!!
tonyia
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:39 am

Dear Blackrose72,
Was this done as part of a routine check up, or was this urine analysis done due to a symptom or complaint?
And, how much blood exactly was there? This is known through the number of RBCs per HPF in urine.
Also, did the urine analysis show any other findings?
 Blackrose72 - Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:18 pm

Dr. Heba Ismall,
This was his 5 year old check up. I don't remember how much blood was found exactly. Sorry I can't be of more help. They said it was such a small amount. The didn't find any other findings. They did want to know if my husband or I have any family history of kidney problems. Which we do not. Hope this helps.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:39 am

Since there are no associated symptoms, this is probably a condition known as 'asymptomatic (isolated) hematuria'. It is a benign condition that needs regular follow-up, with no need for treatment. Also, the hematuria of your child being microscopic, is also probably why your doctor is not very concerned.
Meanwhile, just avoid aspirin, strenuous exercise, and treat fever immediately, as these may increase the amount of hematuria.
 Blackrose72 - Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:14 am

Dr. Heba Ismall,
Thank you so much for responding to me once again. I'll have to look up "asymptomatic/hematuria" on the website because I'm not sure what that means. You have helped set my mind at ease.

Thanks again.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:20 am

Literally, it means the presence of blood in urine in the absence of symptoms.

|