News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Swollen Gland on back of head, 6 mnth old

ameliajaneagain - Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:35 pm

Hi,

My 6mnth old boy has had a lump on the back of his head since birth. It is just above the neck, at the base of the scalp (in the hair) on the right hand side (not below ear, but right side of back of head). There are also several flat red spots on the area.
My maternal and child health nurse said that it might be a swollen gland, and to check it with my doctor next time I'm there, but I'm worried that it might be something that I should make an appointment for - any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ameliajaneagain
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:09 am

Hello,
I don't believe it's a gland, since you say it dates since birth.
The presence of red spots and its appearance since birth leads me to think it is a 'hemangioma', which is a benign but abnormal growth of blood vessels.
If it turns out to be so, there is no need to worry at all, as some may disappear spontaneously, and if persistent, can be either injected with a material to collapse these vessels or can be surgically removed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here