News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 4 year old developing breasts?

momof5 - Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:09 pm

a couple weeks ago, i noticed that dd's bre*sts (can you even call them that when they're so young?) seem to be developing. at first i thought she's just gaining wait & is a little chubby there. but the other day i felt them & they feel kind of hard & knobby. Any thoughts on what this could be?? could this be from hormone-inhanced food? should i call the dr.?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:28 am

Yes, I suggest you call her doctor. She needs to be examined to evaluate the exact size of her breasts.
If they are trully enlarged, then her blood hormone levels may need to be evaluated.
An exogenous source (from outside the body) of hormones that may produce this are either from drugs containing hormones such as contraceptive pills or cosmetics which contain estrogens in their composition.
Many conditions could result in an endogenous (formed inside the body) increase in hormone level, or it may be a totally benign enlargement, with no need for treatment or worrying.
 moxiemom - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:09 pm

My 4 year old had the same problem, and I discovered through my doctor that due to consuming soy products, it caused the enlargement with a hard lumpy feel.
Soy contains very high levels of plant estrogen - and as soon as I removed all soy the size went back to normal within a few weeks.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here