News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: ear infection persisting for two weeks

platypus - Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:40 am

My 16-month old was diagnosed with an ear infection following several days of diarrhea and slightly elevated temperature. Doctor prescribed Zytromax. Three days later we noticed a thick discharge from his ear. Another couple of days later, there was a clear discharge from the other ear as well. After the Zytromax therapy the infection was still there so the Dr prescribed Omnicef. It's been 7 days since then but he is still waking up each night crying and touching his ear. Is it normal that his infection is still active after 12 days of antibiotic therapy? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
 spongebobkids - Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:12 am

This is not medical advice just one parent giving advice to another.
Being a mom myself for awhile I've been thru many sleepless night with one child or another having ear infections. Some kids seem prone to them and they seem to last forever. If you are concerned then I'd say sit down with your pediatrician and talk with them make sure your concerns are being heard and ask them to run any tests that might help figure out what type of infection is causing this it maybe that it is a very antibiotic resistant strain. Here's somethings I've done with my little ones when they have had ear infections. Lay them down with a warm heating pad or warm hot water bottle(not hot so as to avoid burns). another thing try giving the little one a lolipop or something else to suck on to try to open the ear canal to allow it to drain(just like chewing gum while on a plane trip. I hope this might help Good luck and remember like everything else this to will pass.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:08 pm

The ear discharge needs to be cultured in order to find out which organism is causing this infection and the appropriate antibiotic needed for its treatment.
Also, fungal infections are common and never respond to antibiotics, but need antifungal treatment, so make sure that this has been excluded.
Always remember to feed your child while he's in the upright position, and maintain that position for a while after feeding, as in laying the child down, it is very likely that any regurged feeds may pass into the ear tubes (Eustachian tubes) predisposing to ear re-infection.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here