Question: My 5 year old wont sleep!!!

kabeebabee - Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:00 pm

Hello, my doughter is 5 and she has adhd. She taked dexedrine once a day. Usually around 7:30 - 8:00 am. The meds work great throughout the day. When she gets home from school around 3:30 the meds are wearing off. This drives me nuts!! The doctor is getting ready to up her dosage. They want to get an ekg on her and then prescribe a sleep aid. This is really bothering me. If a med is so strong or whatever that you have to have an ekg first, i don't know that i want her on it. I don't know what the med is they want to put her. I have been putting off the ekg for months now. She doesnt sleep until around 2-3 am. and doesnt sleep later than 8 am. She aslo has inherited from her dad, some kind of sleep disorder, she talks in her sleep and grits her teeth, and just seems very disoriented if woken up. I don't know if this will have any effect on whatever meds they want to put her on. I have tried everything. Its to were now she lays in bed with the door shut light off and talks to herself for hours. What should I do? I am in desperate need of advise. Any suggestions are welcome. Misty
 kabeebabee - Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:52 am

Well, I gave in and took her today for her EKG, i should find out tomorrow the results and find out what kind of meds they want to put her on. I guess ill just research what ever meds they want to give her and go from there. Thanks
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:54 pm

What is the dose of the drug she is currently on?
Also, if you are provided with treatment options, we can help you find out what's best and most appropriate for her.
 kabeebabee - Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:08 pm

Right now she is on Dexedrine 15 mg long acting capsules in the morning only. They havent called me back yet about the EKG and the med change. Im hoping they do soon. I'll update as soon as I get the results. I have a feeling they are going to up her meds or change them because she is only 34 pounds and will not be 6 years old until April. Someone told me that she is too young for anything else. I'll update when I find out what they are wanting to do. Thank you for your help. Misty
 kabeebabee - Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:46 pm

They have put my daughter on Clonidine. Ive been giving it to her, but it takes sometimes up to 3 hours to work. She also wakes up in the middle of the night around 3-4 and wants to stay up. Is this normal with clonidine?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:52 am

I'm not quite sure, but I may have missed something here.
Why is your daughter being given an antihypertensive?
 kabeebabee - Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:34 pm

This is what her Adhd doctor gave her to help her sleep. Is it not normal to give as a sleep aid? I have seen in other forums were it was given tyo other children. Will this medicine harm her and is there something in particular that is safer for a child that i can ask for. Please let me know. Misty

|