Question: retractile testicle?

Jayc - Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:47 pm

My 3 year old son was born a bit pretern with an undescended testicle. It did eventually drop down. 2 different pediatricians have confirmed that it was down at appointments. Everything I have read makes me certain it is a retractile testicle. Often when looking at him, you would think he only has one testicle, It does typically rest high, sometimes even up in the groin area. When he is warm or in the bathtub, both are down. Our pediatrician referred us to a ped Urologist who felt around for about a second and ordered an orchidopexy. He said that it seemed tight and probably "wouldn't come down on it's own" at this point. I tried to explain that it DOES come down and is not always up in the groin. I know what 2 testicles look like when they are both down, I am an NICU nurse. I have to check for this very frequently. I don't know if he just wasn't listening or if he cared. He was in our room for a total of 5 minutes and I did not feel like I really got to explain the situation or that I received much info from him-- if we do need to pursue surgery, I will not have this guy do it. It just seems to me that it is not a true undescended testicle and from what I know and have read, surgery isn't really indicated at this point. I absolutely want to do the right thing by my son, so can someone else offer some advice. If it is retractile, can't we just hold off on surgery? What do you think would make the urologist make such a quick judgement? My family has a history of bad reactions to anesthesia and I don't want to put my son through surgery unless it is absolutely necessary, Please offer advice!
 lilysuzanne - Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:33 pm

Definately go with your own instincts and get a second opinion
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:19 am

I agree you should seek another opinion as what you've described is a typical retractile testis, and there is no indication for surgery provided there are no other problems as torsion or hernia.

|