News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Lump in breast, 4 1/2 yr old

Archiebald - Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:34 pm

I noticed today that my daughters nipple was a little swollen, I felt it and it has a bump smaller than a pea. It does not hurt her, she told me she hit it on the corner of the wall. My ped is closed until Monday just wanted to ask for opinions, can hitting the nipple cause a bump underneath nipple? If its not gone by Monday I will have dr see her, just looking for any advice.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:21 pm

Well, if it's a well-defined lump and it is truly related to trauma, then it could either be a hematoma(collection of blood from a torn vessel) or calcified fatty tissue which has broken down as a result of the trauma.
If, however, the lump is not at all related to trauma and it was incidentally discovered, it could be due to some benign hormonal changes that cause premature breast enlargement, which is common.
There are, of course, other causes, but a thorough examination by your doctor should identify the nature of this lump.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here