Question: Lump in breast, 4 1/2 yr old

Archiebald - Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:34 pm

I noticed today that my daughters nipple was a little swollen, I felt it and it has a bump smaller than a pea. It does not hurt her, she told me she hit it on the corner of the wall. My ped is closed until Monday just wanted to ask for opinions, can hitting the nipple cause a bump underneath nipple? If its not gone by Monday I will have dr see her, just looking for any advice.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:21 pm

Well, if it's a well-defined lump and it is truly related to trauma, then it could either be a hematoma(collection of blood from a torn vessel) or calcified fatty tissue which has broken down as a result of the trauma.
If, however, the lump is not at all related to trauma and it was incidentally discovered, it could be due to some benign hormonal changes that cause premature breast enlargement, which is common.
There are, of course, other causes, but a thorough examination by your doctor should identify the nature of this lump.

|