Question: My seven year old has stages of vomiting since age one

Illinois Lisa - Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:35 am

My son goes through stages where he just vomits. It doesn't matter what he eats; sometimes he wakes up nauseous sometimes he has stomach aches. Thoughts of certain things make him sick too. I was the same and so was my dad. There are times when he throws up after every meal and other times when he won't eat because he feels like throwing up. There has to be an answer to this. The doctor was baffled (those were his words) because it is not consistent (ex. lasts for a week and stops for two).

I look forward to a response and thank you for your time and help in creating this forum and helping people like me.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:48 pm

Well Lisa,
There is a condition known as 'cyclic vomiting' which is a form of migraine. There is a pattern for vomiting which usually occurs in clusters every 3-4 weeks. It is also more common in males.
But you've also described that anything that upsets him starts him vomiting, which could also happen with an exaggerated gag reflex as a result of stress.
If these options have not already been put forward, then discuss them with your doctor and see what he thinks.
 llerville - Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am

In addition to throwing up when anything (like a scarf in winter) touches his throat/ or neck percieved to be too tight on a shirt- if he eats a bite that is too big he throws up;
His father is an easy vomiter - usually nerves incited though
How can I help him stop this? it seems to happen a lot
thanks
 Illinois Lisa - Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:42 am

Thank you, Doctor, for your reply.

My son was ruled out for 'cyclic vomiting' . I have been doing some searches online and wonder if it could be GERDS.

He sometimes complains that his chest hurts and I asked what kind of hurt, he said like a burning/hot feeling. I have been trying to keep track of what he eats when he throws up, how he feels before he throws up and what he dirnks.

I don't allow him to eat chocolate anymore because according to the article I read, children with GERDS should avoid it, as well as pepperoni pizza.

Thank you again!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Dear Lisa,
GERD sounds like a very likely possibility, now that you've mentioned the heart burn.
But there are other causes for a heart burn such as gastritis or an ulcer.
Have any investigations been done?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:43 pm

Dear llerville,
I believe your son may have an exaggerated gag reflex.
It could be worsened by stress.
Have you taken him to a doctor?
 spongebobkids - Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:45 pm

My daughter has some similar symptoms check out the post "want help understanding". Has your son ever had ibuprofen. If so I would make sure you Dr knows it and ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist. They might be able to help figure out why he is vomiting the way he is. good luck from a mom who was in you shoes who has hopefully found the light at the end of the tunnel
 Illinois Lisa - Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:32 pm

The Dr. said he didn't think it was an ulcer because of the inconsistency of his symtoms.

Sometimes he wakes up nautious other times he is fine, sometimes he gets the chest pain, sometimes he doesn't; sometimes he gets a stomach ache before vomiting, sharp pains, and sometimes he is feeling perfectly fine and then he throws up.

Since I have started limiting the kinds of food he eats, am seeing a difference. I am allowing him to eat pasta but no more than once a week (a week can pass without him eating it). The food portions are smaller and less juice intake. I am trying to get him to drink more water. He loves Pasta Alfredo but I notice he vomits every time he eats it; yesterday was the first time he didn't but I gave him a small portion.

He doesn't like milk at all; not big on ice cream either so I don't push it.

Thank you again.

Lisa

|