Question: 11 yr old with 7 wks constant abdomen and back ache

rainingagain - Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:38 am

My daughter has been suffering for the past 7 weeks with a constant abdomen and back ache. It started with aching pain in middle low abdomen and feeling unwell. She said it felt like a UTI, which she had only once before 4 months prior. The next day it moved to the right and then left low abdomen and soon came diarrhea. The next day her back started aching just below her ribs. The next day was a Monday and she seen the Dr. Diarrhea gone and Urine was clean and was told it was gastroenteritis. That night she started vomiting and was unable to keep even a sip of water down all the next day Would not move due to sharp pains that came with movement along with ache. Dr. send her to ER where she was rehydrated, blood labs and urine normal. Next day no better, Dr. sent her for CT scan, normal except a little abdomen fluid and some small simple cysts on both ovaries. Next day no better, Dr. sent her to Childrens Hospital ER 2 hrs away. On the way she started her period for the 6th time in 9 months. Stayed overnight, xray still showed most of the contrast in her bowels from ct. They cleaned her out and sent her home saying it was combination of menstral pain (never had before) and a possible virus. Three days latter, back in Dr. office. Still in constant pain in low abdomen and back, Tylenol and Ibuprofen no help. Sent for surgical consult. Sent for 2nd Ct scan after exam, all normal. One week latter still in constant pain but now with small swelling to right of navel. Sent to GYN, had pelvic ultrasound, found a few small simple cysts (largest 1.8 cm) but no cause for pain. Was given BC Pills for when she starts her period again to stop ovolation and production of cysts. Daughter refuses to use and I back her up. Main concern of hers is the possibility of stunting growth and other side effects. Next week back at Dr. office with distended abdomen and pain worse, waking her up many times at night but only constant ache, pain level 6 to 8, no sharp pains. Very tender abdomen and back. Urine still negative. Refered to Ped. Gastro Dr., seen her last week. Took xray and she is all backed up with feces again only this time worse. Told that this was the cause of all her pain and when she gets cleaned out, pain will go away. She is now cleaned out, couldn't possibly have anything left in her with four days of miralax, senna-gen, Mollasses and Milk enemas 2X's pd and oral saline laxitives. Abdomen no longer distended, only small swelling to right of navel but no mass. Still complaining of constant ache in low abdomen in 4 spots, just above pubic bone, to the right and left of that, and to right of navel where swelling is and still aching in back. Pain level 7. Sorry this is so long. My daughter is unable to function like an 11 yr old should. Can't run, jump, play, makes pain worse. Has been going to school, but has been unable to play BB with team for past 7 weeks and is fatiged, tired of the pain, tired of drs., frustrated that no one can help her get rid of pain. She doesn't see the Ped. Gastro. Dr. again for 3 more weeks. I hate to see her suffer anymore but don't know what to do. Does anyone have any insight as to what this could be? How I can help her?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:44 am

About the swelling, it could be a hernia, which could cause some pain. What did your doctors say of it?
As for the ovarian cysts, they may very well be the major source of pain.
I do not agree with you that she should not take the pills. It is not just for the relief of symptoms but also for regulation of ovulation and hormonal balance. Please try to re-consider your decision.
 Krinzgal - Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 pm

My daughter is 14 and has a very similar situation. This has been going on for years. Her back pain started when she was 7. Her stomach pain started a year or so after that. She does appear to have kyphoidosis, a curvature of her spine that gives her an "s" shaped posture on profile.

She has had upper and lower endoscopy, CT and ultrasounds of the abdomen and pelvis. MRI of the pituitary was normal. Countless blood and urine tests. She does have a polyp in her left sphenoid sinus. Still no answers except that we should send her to a three week pain clinic.

She has been on birth control pills for five months. She still has the pain and a persistent cyst on her right ovary. She is so fatigued now we had to withdraw her from school because she cannot walk to classes. With only mild exertion, she develops a cough. She does not have asthma, at least, not as far as any inflammation of the lungs. They say she "may" have some type of smooth muscle issue that affects her bronchioles.

She has three times had an elevated TSH and high to high normal calcicum levels, although PTH screens of the parathyroid were normal. She has insulin resistance, but the endocrinologist has assured us that this would not account for the extreme fatigue and weakness she is experiencing. Insulin does not really seem to help lower her blood sugar levels. We've had her on and off and either way, her high blood sugar seems to correspond with these pain episodes.

She has some redness of the antrum of her stomach. The gastroenterologist suggested it "might" be irritable bowel. She does not have problems with gas or cramping, just a localized area of epigastric pain just about her navel. Sometimes it is so severe it wakes her.

I am so sorry to learn of your daughter's trouble. I know how desperate you feel because I am dealing with the same fears. I am hopeful that by posting here someone may have an idea on what to do. They have tested her for autoimmune issues, carcinoid and a plethora of other things. I am wondering if she should have some type of neurological workup or a CT of her spinal column?

Please let me know if you are successful in finding any resolution to your daughter's symptoms.

|