Question: constipation since birth now 5 1/2 months and stillhas probl

worriedmommysinceherbirth - Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:12 pm

My daughter was born august 9th, 2005 and she pooped out her merconium in the first 24 hours and a couple diapers in the first two weeks, none on her own since then, i have had to use supositories(infant) on her once a week, she is exclusivly breastfed, and she has been to a gastro spec, who seems to think theres is nothing wrong but alls he did was feel on her tummy and said try this med.(lactoluse) 1 teaspoon a day try it for a motnh and see what happens try not to use the supp. but once every two weeks because she is breastfed this will be ok, so i did that and this did not work so now he said to do two teaspoons a day, i started doing this almost two weeks ago and still no results, i am at my ends wit, i feel there is something wrong, he finally has sceduled an exray of her tummy, but the closest appoint, is two month away she will be eating baby foods then, and i think that this could be a big problem by then, it arleady is, i just hope someone is familiar with a situation like this , if you are outhere please help me, give me advice something, if you need anymore details please feel free to ask,
Concerned mother of Kiersten
 lemonshimmers - Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:15 pm

This is a difficult situation. Are you a first time mother?

I am not a Pediatrician but I have been a nanny for 6 years and specifically with newborns for the past 4 years, and I am now pregnant with my first.

I can give you some very valuable advice.

First I would have to start but asking you some questions.
How many times a day is your daughter breast feeding and have you begun to give her water in her bottles inbetween feedings?

When you start her on solids, in 2 weeks, aim for high fiber choices particularly fruit and vegtables. Specifically Prunes. I have a strong feeling if you were to try it you would have great success.

Avoid too much applesauce; carrots and bananas because they are known to increase constipation.also solid white rice when you get to that stage for finger food at 8 months.

My next point is, always get a second opinion!!!!!!!!! Do not wait two months if you feel this needs to be taken care of now. Get on the phone with your pediatrician and demand a list of referals until you get an appointment inside of 2 weeks.

On an ending note, what is your family history, if possible make a call to your mother, and mother in law and find out the history of infants possibly carrying these symptoms.

Use all your resources and don't take NO for an answer!

Good luck!
 worriedmommysinceherbirth - Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:47 pm

yes i know what you mean, she has just strated this week with prunes and they havent helped yet, it seems to have made it worst to give he rthis babyfood, i try to give her water as much as possible but she will absolutly not take a bottle so i was having to give her a syring in the mouth of water, and now she spits that out, but she will take a couple sips out of my cup she wont even take a sippy she just wants to drink from my glass, and thats all i drink, she nurses probably about 6 times a day and 2x at night sometimes 3, and nobody in my family has any symptoms, but i did get a second opinion and that was the gastro the pediatrician sent me too and they said their was not other ones around, and he said that i would just have to keep calling to see if they had cancellations to make the appoinment sooner,
thanks
concerned mom
 lemonshimmers - Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:45 pm

Going directly to Drinking from a cup is not uncommon for breast fed babies. A girlfriend of mines son (breastfed only), went directly to a straw in a sealed cup. If she does well then I would definately continue giving her water but still, try to continue once giving her a sippy cup.

What I am confused with is that in addition to feeding her 6 times a day you are having to get up and feed her 2-3 times at night? Thats 8-11 time in 24 hours???!!

Breast fed babies 4-6 months only need 28 to 32 ounces per day which is 4-6 feedings.

Dry Infant Cereal : 3 to 5 tbs. single grain iron fortified cereal mixed with water or breastmilk.

*^And remember to make cereal feedings at this level very soupy.

Fruit : 1 to 2 tbs., plain, strained /1 to 2 times per day

Vegetbles: 1 to 2 tbs., plain, strained/1 to 2 times per day

If she is waking up 2-3 times per night it is probably a combination of hunger for solids and dehydration. Try giving her just water at night and longer feedings during the day.

The only other thing is if she is oversleeping during the day beyond 2-3 times a day.
I hope this helps you.

Sincerely[/list]
 worriedmommysinceherbirth - Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:34 pm

no i don't mean a full nursing if she wakes up she might like use it as a pacifier just like let it sit in her mouth to fall back a sleep she might nurse for like 2 minutes, it not like shes hungry, i can tell when shes hungry, and sometimes she doesnt nurse a lot during the day she nurses at least 6x but sometimes it is only for like 5 mins, and i feel she takes naps because she tires herself out by playing in her walker and jumper and trying to crawl she takes like three naps a day i just don't get how that would have to do with her pooping problem, i mean no offense

|