News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 2 year old falling down a lot! Need advice!

tmtpowers - Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi,
My 2 year old daughter was breech and born through C-section. Her feet have always pointed out a little bit but our Dr. keeps telling us that they will correct themselves. Well my daughter falls a lot when walking. From what I see of other 2 year olds, she falls a lot more then they do. Its worse when she has shoes on but regardless of wearing shoes or not, she still falls quite a bit. She is able to climb and do every thing else without any problems but I do worry about her falling so much. Should I be worried? Does my daughter need braces even though her current Dr. thinks other wise? Is there anything I can do to help her walking? If she doesn't need braces, is there anything I should be doing to help??

Any and all advice is much appreciated!
 tmtpowers - Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:57 pm

I probably should have mentioned that my daughter has flat foot (which runs on my hubby's side).
 spongebobkids - Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:02 pm

my daughter was the same way she fell all the time she would trip over her own feet and step on her own toes. I took her to an orthopedic who did x-rays and found that as with most kids her bones were some what twisted. His suggestion was let her go bare foot as much as possible and that she would grow out of it. At the time I thought he should do more but he was right she did grow out of it. My suggestion is take her to your pediatrician and ask him about it and ask for a referral to a pediatric orthopedic and follow their instructions. It will be rough for awhile you will want to do everything to protect your child but remember all kids fall and bounce back. Don't you wish we adults were as lucky. :)
 tmtpowers - Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:41 pm

thanks for the advice.
 spongebobkids - Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:57 pm

your welcome I know how scared I was when I noticed a problem with my daughter. The worst possibilities came to mind first but they were proven wrong by a great Dr. Good luck and keep me updated
 tmtpowers - Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:52 pm

Well, we went to the Dr. today and expressed our concerns. We got a referral to a physical therapist so we shall see what he/she says. The Dr. still feels that its a problem that will correct on its own but it will make me feel so much better if we get the second opinion as well as seeing someone look a little more closely into this. Welp, I'll let you know what happens in the next Dr. appointment as soon as we go.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here