Question: heart mummur

momofdlj654 - Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 am

the doctor discovered that my 5 year old son has a heart mummur yesterday. i know that normally this is nothing to really worry about, but heart problems run in our family. my 6 year old son has holes in his heart, along with a cousin(who is awaiting a heart transplant) and my uncle(which died of this at 26 years old). should i push the doctor for more testing or should i just wait and trust the doctor when they tell me that its no big deal?
 NikkyLeClair - Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:06 am

Hi, I am not a doctor, but I too have two children one who had a ASD (whole in her heart) which was repaired, and another who has a heart murmur, which I have been told not to worry about. The risk of having more than one child with a hole in the heart is very low. I think my geneticist said like 2%. If your child is growing and breathing normally, they usually just wait to see if they outgrow it. The doctors can hear more than just the murmur when they listen to the heart. They can usually tell the location of the murmur as well as other abnormalities. Of course if you have any reason for concern, doctors are not offended if you seek a second opinion. Rather, I think they are reassured of their diagnoisis if things come back as they expected.

Nikky,PCC
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:46 am

Hello momofdlj654,
There are murmurs that are considered 'innocent', with usually no underlying cardiac lesions. They are common in children due to their somewhat different physiology from adults.
However, it is your right to seek a second opinion or demand an echo be done, if even for the sake of re-assurance.

|