News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Assymetrical Chest in my Baby Girl of two years.

carl786 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Hi, I wonder is you can help.

My baby girl (sehar) was born with a deformed chest. The deformation is two fold.
Firstly, her left side rib cage appears quite a bit higher than the left. Her ribs are a "hook" shape . The left side is much lower and almost "flat" in apearance in comparison to the other side.

Secondly, like myself she has "Pectus excavatum". Although I was not officially diagnosed, I have seen pictures that exactly match my condition. My daughter however, has a much deeper indentation. I do not have any beathing problems. My daughter is beginning to complain of pain this area. She points to the indentation. She is only two years old.

Sehar does not complain of any other pains, she does not have any problems, she is growing o.k.

There are no signs of :
Scoliosis
Idiopathic
or Marfans.

Many Thanks for you help.[/b]
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:49 am

Dear carl786,
You need to see an orthopedic surgeon.
If the deformity is as evident as you describe it, it may eventually compromise her lung and heart functions.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here