News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: newborn weight loss

grandmommy - Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:36 pm

My grandson (he and his mommy live w/ us) is 22 days old, born full term by induction. He's healthy and beautiful but our concern is his weight loss. At his 2 wk checkup he was 10 oz below his brith weight of 7 lb 5 oz. Pediatrician told us to supplement w/ formula and come back in 1 week for a weight check. Weight check was yesterday and he'd only gained 1 oz in one week, so at 22 days old he's still 9 oz. below his birth weight. Nurse who did his weight check said any weight gain is good and just to "keep doing what we're doing" and bring him back for his 2 month checkup. He has a weak suck and my daughter is also concerned that her milk supply has diminished since she began supplementing w/ forumla. He's alert and doesn't seem distressed, other than some gagging and strangling but very little vomitiing. He's only had five or six bowel movements since birth but seems to be wetting normally. Any reassurances or advice you can offer?
 MichelleRNC - Fri May 19, 2006 12:17 pm

Is is not abnormal or alarming for a neworn to loose some weight- in general many babies loose weight arnd after 2 weeks will again reach their birth weight. Breast fed babies do not gain as much weight, as quickly as their formula fed peers. La Leche League is a non-for-profit agency specificall for breast fed babies and I think they can really help support your daughter. If your daughter pumps her breasts that might help- she should pump for every supplemental feed. Only six bowel movements and the weak suck does concern me- and needs to be addressed by the pediatrician. Also helpful to me with this question is how many wet daipers a day.

How is your grandson doing now?[/b]
 grandmommy - Fri May 19, 2006 12:36 pm

Hi and thanks for you kind response. Baby Sam is doing great now, though still a little "light" for his age and height (20th percentile for weight and 90th for height). He finally regained his birthweight at about six weeks but not before our daughter switched to bottle feeding. Turns out she had borderline thyroid issues causing low milk supply, plus Sam's little mouth was too small to nurse properly or even bottle feed effectively. (During a weight check the pediatrician noticed he wasn't able to get a good suction on a newborn nipple so she gave us some preemie nipples. Made ALL the difference in the world!) He's a precious, healthy little guy in every way, and thanks again for asking. God bless.
 MichelleRNC - Fri May 19, 2006 8:07 pm

I am so glad he's doing well. The premie nipples are great for the babies with a weak suck for sure they enable the milk to come easily- but for the babies with a strong suck it allows too much milk with little effort- and they gag. We usually realize this in the newborn nursery- but when mothers want to breastfeed only- we aren't able to try out the various nipples on them. Given the choice the babies will also prefer a nipple over breast feeding because they realize they have to work harder for the breast- once really used to the breast they'll prefer it.

Sometimes when the mother becomes too frustrated with the breastfeeding, the babies are cranky and hungry- it's not good for either one of them.

His percentiles are great, you and your daughter are relieved and thats wonderful!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here