Question: persistant diaper rash

Lorena_vanorden - Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:23 am

I have a 15 month old daughter who has had pneumonia at age 11 months, and has had bronchitis since age 7 months. Other wise she is a healthy happy baby. For about the past month she has had an awful diaper rash that won't go away, I tried Nystatin that the doctor gave me, cornstarch, everything in the store that I can find. I have changed the brand of diapers, changed her every hour, stopped feeding her any food with spices or salt or acid in them, and I can't make it go away. Her little bottom is bright red and she cries like it is unbearable when she pottys in her diaper. And when she goes on the toilet, we have to put her in the shower so we don't have to wipe her butt because it hurts her so bad.. Does anyone have any advice that may help get rid of it? I am desperate. Thank you
 MichelleRNC - Thu May 25, 2006 5:32 pm

It sound like your daughter is reacting to some type of irritant. Since it is localized to the diaper area- it may be caused by wipes, or the disposable diapers. I know it's a stretch but have you tried cloth diapers- I know it's a hastle- but may be worth it in your case. I'd also try to keep her diaper area open to air as much as possible. Try to limit acidic foods. Use cloths to wipe instead of baby wipes, and rinse with water using a peri bottle before you wipe at all. Keep the area as dry as possible, and a nice coating of Desitin after cleaning and patting dry. I have a feeling she will be potty trained quite early. If she has open sores have it looked at by the pediatrician- she may benefit from an antibiotic ointment such as Bactroban. If it is yeast she should have responded to the NYSTATIN.

When your time permits give me an update on the situation

|