Question: Both of my preschoolers have very slow growth.

ellefun2 - Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:03 am

I have a total of 4 children; 2 from a previous marriage, 16yo and 12yo; and 2 from my current marriage, 4yo and 3yo. My older 2 children grew normally and were always in the 80-90 percentiles. However, my younger 2 who were at good weights at birth (4yo was 8lbs10oz, 3yo was 7lbs11oz) are now much smaller than their peers. In both height and weight, they are both under the 10th percentile for their ages. I had some worry when my 4yo was born because his PKU came back abnormal from the test at the hospital but subsequent testing ruled it out. They also did h&h and iron because his skin was so fair that you could see his veins through the skin. They are both very fair with blue eyes. Neither seems to have any other development problems. My 4yo was born by CS due to a semi-transverse position and my 3yo was born by repeat CS. Should I worry about their small statures?
 MichelleRNC - Thu May 18, 2006 9:24 am

Numerous factors can affect growth such as genetics, metabolism, nutrition, and disease. The father of your children on the smaller side? How about you? Some children just like adults are smaller compared to their peers.

You said they are doing well developmentally- and that is very reassuring to me. Other than size are they generally healthy. Have you addressed your concerns with their pediatrician?
Were you told what specifically was originally abnormal with the PKU. Sometimes it has to be repeated for other reasons like if it was done prior to 24 hours after the fist feeding. Sometimes it has to be repeated because of an error with the sample itself.

When your son had his H/H done were the results reassuring? Are the children much more fair skinned in comparison to you or their father?
 ellefun2 - Sun May 28, 2006 3:22 pm

As far as genetics go, I would say yes, both my husband and I are somewhat on the shorter side (my being 5'3" and he 5'8") whereas my previous husband was a bit taller (5'10') so that might account for the differences. The two youngest children are not exceedingly fairer than us, but there is a noticeable difference. At their last well-check, the doctor was slightly concerned about their growth but just adopted a wait and see attitude. I failed to mention that they were both found to have slight murmurs, but these were classified as innocent and they are expected to outgrow them (I also had a benign heart murmur as a small child). Otherwise, their doctor has no concerns about their development and their health appears good. My 4yo has recently started a growth spurt so I am not as much concerned as I was (he's finally wearing size 4 clothing, though he is nearly 5). I expect my 3yo should do the same in time. As far as nutrition, they are both receptive to a wide variety of foods and thankfully not picky eaters, so I have no concerns there. As far as the PKU, I believe I do remember that it was mentioned that the sample was insufficient. The early H&H did show a low hemoglobin at that first check but after being supplemented on iron-fortified formula (doctor actually discouraged breast milk), subsequent tests were fine.

Thank you for your responses and reassurance. I'm sure they are both as healthy as they appear to be, just sometimes a mother worries when her children are not like other children.

|