News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 6wk old has a small growth on belly button

aleechmt - Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:41 pm

I have a 6 week old girl that I have just noticed a small growth on her belly button. She also has torticollis, which my son also had for about 3 months after birth, but we are treating it. She was 4 weeks premature, but is doing great. She shows no signs that this is painful for her. It is about 1/4" around and is a reddish color. She weighs about 7 1/2 lbs now and this could have been there before, but we just noticed it tonight. The bottom layer of skin under her belly button covers it up and you have to pull it away a bit to see it. Now that she is getting fatter, it is easier to see. I have searched the internet to find any information on this, but have found none. It looks like a smooth wart, or a blister. Any information would be great. We had a tough pregnancy-high blood pressure, lots of bleeding once a month 3 months into the pregnancy, bed rest...The baby had trouble gaining weight her first week, until the doctor had us supplement her with formula. Her neck has a lump on it...anyway I would like to know how to tackle this, but I don't even know what this is. Thank you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:59 am

User avatar Hi aleechmt,
An enlargement of the collection of the blood vessels in the umbilicus may cause the appearance of a "red spot or blister". Have an evaluation by her pediatrician to identify if there is cause for concern.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here