News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Hello

sejma - Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:35 am

I am a senior in Amundsen High School, and just like any other teen I am trying to figure out what I want to do in life. I am really interested in becoming a doctor expecially pediatritian, but I don't really belive I can do it. Can you help me, can you tell me if it was hard for you to become a pediatritian and what do I need to become one.
Thank You
 MichelleRNC - Wed May 17, 2006 3:35 am

I think it's wonderful that you are even considering a career in medicine. It takes years, but if you are unsure you can change your mind along the way. First thing is college and pre med. Then medical school itself. Once you have your bachelors degree which you will need you'll have many options such as medical school or law school. A Doctor can't actually pick a specialty until they become a resident which is after being an intern. I think it's during internship that most doctors decide or get accepted into a residency program.
So after you graduate from High School go on to college and your experiences will lead you to the direction you want to be. Ask your guidance counselor if they know of any local programs where you can observe Doctors at the hospital, office, or clinic. Most hospitals have volunteer programs, staff may allow you to interact/ observe the children. Maybe try that in your spare time. Call Human Resources at any hospital and ask about the volunteer program.
It is hard but can be done! I wish you much success.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here