News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Possible Blocked Tear Duct 2 year old

spensaid0003 - Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi, My son is just over 2.5 years old. For the past 1.5 months (give or take) his right eye has been pooling with tears. Sometimes I can see a stream of yellow fluid in the tears. It dries leaving crusty stuff. I would guess his eye has extra fluid in it 50%-75% of his waking hours. His eye is not red and he seems to be in no pain. His eye is not crusted shut in the mornings. Sometimes I notice his cheekbone is red (at one point I wondered if he had a sinus infection & the redness/warmth was coming through? - he has a fair complection). This redness does not happen very often (2-3 times a week?). I am not even sure this is a blocked tear duct - our primary care doctor thought it might be (over the phone by my description).

I can't find much information on blocked tear ducts in a 2 year old and what the treatments are... can you offer any information or suggested home treatments? I found one site that mentions surgery with some drastic measures (like breaking the nose) or probing.... I don't want to panic prematurely... but I am starting to stress :) We have an appointment with an ophthalmologist next friday. Thanks for any info you can offer!

(no past diagnoses, no surgeries, no meds, & no known family history of anything like this). Thanks :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 am

User avatar Hi spensaid0003,
The symptoms that you have described sounds consistent with a blocked tear duct (blocked Nasolacrimal Duct/Dacryostenosis).
The Opthamologist will be able to determine the causative factor and generally speaking, massaging or milking the nasolacrimal duct is attempted prior to surgical treatments. During your visit he/she will show you how to do this correctly. Here is a weblink for you to view. I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Click here!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here