Question: Knot on left collar bone of 2 y/o

dixiemom8203 - Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:50 am

Hello and first thank you for reading/responding to my post.

I have a daughter that is 2 years old and sometime last week I noticed a small hard knot (no bigger than the end of an eraser on a pencil) on her left collar bone, when I touch it and push slightly just to feel if I can move it she says it hurts (but just to be sure it really hurt I touched the other collar bone and asked her did it hurt she said yes too, so I don't know if it really hurts or not...)

Could this just be a cyst or a calcium growth? Should I take her to the doctor about it? I don't know whether to be worried or if it's normal...Please help

Thank you very much.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:22 am

User avatar Hi dixiemom8203,
A calcium deposit or cyst doesn't typically cause discomfort and it's very difficult sometimes to ascertain in a child of that age accuracy of answers. If she has been relatively healthy, experiencing no other symptoms, and has an upcoming appointment, be sure to bring this to the attention of her physician.
 dixiemom8203 - Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:02 am

Thank you for your response and taking the time to read my post. She hasn't shown any other "odd" symptoms so I guess when I go for my appt I'll take her and have him take a look at it.

Thank you again
 dixiemom8203 - Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:58 pm

Ok I went to the doctor today and had her "knot" checked out, she said it was a swollen lymph node, only if she were sick the lymph nodes that were to be swollen should be up around her neck (but she hasn't been sick, no cough, no fever, no nothing, and I told the Dr. that) she said to watch it for the next couple of weeks (cause that's when I have to go back, I'm taking Requip for RLS) and see if there are any changes...does it look like it's going away is it getting bigger etc...She said that if it hasn't changed by then or gets bigger then she will put her on some antibiotics and hope that gets rid of any infection she may have. She also said that because she isn't or hasn't been sick (or even if she was...) then it is odd for her lymph node all the way down by her collar bone to be swollen and that if the antibiotics don't help then they will have to think of something else. What else could it be? Something serious? I didn't ask because I didn't want to think that it could be something serious...but now that I'm home I got thinking about it and am very curious. Thank you for your help.
 dixiemom8203 - Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:00 pm

Hello again. I know this is almost a yr old and all but I wanted to say that the knot she has on her collarbone is still there. It moves and it doesn't hurt but it has gotten slightly bigger. Should I still worry about it? I had another doctor look at it and he says because it moves it likely isn't cancerous. I was relieved but he said likely. He also said to bring her back in the fall if it doesn't go away or it gets bigger and he'll see about getting a biopsy done on it. I will be making an appointment but can anyone give me any idea what I'm in for?

Thank you.

~Worried Mom~
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:23 am

User avatar Hi dixiemom8203,
Generally speaking, when lymph nodes are movable and not fixed in place they are most often benign in nature. Lymph node enlargement may occur for even seemingly mild insignificant infections and may wax and wane (enlarge then decrease in size) and may not return to their preinfectious state. If the physician is concerned about the nature or causative factor related to the enlargement, you may want to inquire about diagnostic studies, ie., ultrasound, prior to a more invasive procedure. Best wishes and keep us posted if you don't mind.
 dixiemom8203 - Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:08 am

Its not a lymph node its a cyst. Sorry thought I should clear that up.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:29 am

User avatar Hi dixiemom8203,
An ultrasound would be able to determine if the characteristics are disconcerting or insignificant.
 dixiemom8203 - Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:12 am

Thank you...

|