Question: 3 year old that never eats

emt1300 - Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:19 pm

My 3 year old daughter is hardly ever hungry. She never wants to eat but she seems to be thirsty all the time. She she very seldom eats breakfast and at lunch and dinner she takes a couple bites and then says she is not hungry. She doesn't snack during the day either. This has been going on for a few months now. She is very healthy and has has no serious health problems. She seems small for her age though (36" tall and 31 pounds) i don't know if this is average size for a three year old but she is smaller than a lot of other 3 year olds we know. She is very active throughout the day so it seems like she would need more calories. She isn't on any medications that would alter her appetite and everyone keeps telling me she'll eat when shes hungry but it seems like she's never hungry. Could this just be a phase she is going through?
 spongebobkids - Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:39 pm

You sound like me when my daughter started eating very little at the same age. It seemed the more I worried about it the less she ate. My daughters Dr said repeatedly she'll eat when she's hungry and to just let her eat what ever she wanted. It took awhile for me to relax but when I did there were days when she wouldn't really eat but a few bites here and there but there were others when she would just chow down. If her Dr isn't worried then take a deep breath and relax she will eat. Figure out her favorite foods and offer them frequently but don't stress out about it.don't let others pressure you or her to eat more. Even if she wants pizza for breakfast give it to her remember her body will use any food to it's advantage.( don't you wish we were kids again so we could eat anything we wanted) Don't let others pressure you or her to eat more.The more she is pushed to eat the less she will eat. Good luck and keep us informed.
 emt1300 - Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:09 pm

Thanks a lot for your help. I usually let her eat anything she wants as long as she is eating something. I never force her to eat because that just seems to make it worse and I don't get mad at her when she won't eat it is just frustrating because i am worried she'll get sick from not eating. She used to not want to eat because she would snack on junk food all day long now she doesn't even want the cookies and fruit snacks she used to love. I hope this is just a phase cause I was reading that even toddlers can develop eating disorders. I think I might be reading more into this than I need to.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:49 pm

User avatar I just wanted to add that you may wish to suppliment her diet with some PediaSure, and a Flintstones Multivitamin, just to be sure that she is getting proper nutrition.
 emt1300 - Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:37 pm

She takes vitamins everyday, but i'll start giving her pedisure too. Thanks a lot for the help!!!!!!!!!

|