Question: 2 y/o bulge between ribs, constant constipation

marytp - Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:48 pm

My 2 y/o daughter has a large lump/bulge in her upper abdomen between her ribs. She has recently had a growth spurt and I recently noticed this. It is most noticeable when she is laying down for a diaper. She has had constant problems with constipation. 2 weeks ago she had the flu and vomited for the first time. She has fully recovered however has been complaining that her tummy hurt. She has started vomitting again today, but no flu.
I will be calling her Ped, but I am very worried and would appreciate any light you could shed on this. She has no other health problems.

Mary
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:48 am

User avatar Hi marytp,
Although umbilical and inguinal hernias are the most common types in children it is also possible for a child to develop hernias in other areas as well, ie, paraesophageal, hiatal, etc. I would very strongly suggest an evaluation by your child's pediatrician to evaluate her symptoms. I hope you will consider posting an update when your time permits.
 marytp - Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:02 am

Thank you so much for such a quick and thoughtful response.
I brought my daughter in today and the doctor told me she needs to see a pediatric surgeon. She is fairly certain it is a Epigastric Hernia. Because my little one recently thinned out so much, it has just become more noticeable, however, if I am correct she would have had this since birth??

The Dr said she thinks that all of the straining she has had to do because of constipation causes it to bulge. It seems to go in and out at different times.

I am worried about this. I have a call in to the surgeon and I am waiting for an appointment.

I really know nothing about this type of thing so I would greatly appreciate it if you could shed some light.

Thank You again,

Mary
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:11 am

User avatar Hi marytp,
You are correct in considering that she has probably had it since birth. Hernias enlarge for many reasons, including straining. Here is a link that may provide some information regarding the procedure, what to expect etc. I hope you find this helpful and an update would be very appreciated when your time permits. Best wishes!
Click here!

|