News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Question About 7 Year Old Daughter

rybakgirl - Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:18 am

Good morning,

My daughter is 7 and had walking pneumonia 3 weeks ago. Since then she hasn't really been eating much and just keeps saying she is not that hungry. She has had on and off illness all year. She has no interest in food at all. My question is, is this normal behavior for a 7 year old? She was never a "great" eater but did eat and wasn't too picky but now it seems that she doesn't have an interest. This week Sunday she had a fever of 101 again and that nasty cough, the fever went away after a day or so but she still has a cough. I chalked it up to a cold. She also has a preoccupation with her weight and will ask if her dad and I think she is fat. She is a healthy 60 lb girl, she is pretty tall and doesn't look her weight at all. I just worry that she could be starting on a path of poor self esteem even though her father and I tell her all the time how much we love her and how beautiful she is. I think she looks at her friends her age that weigh 45-50 lbs and feels inferior in some way. Should I be concerned? Does she need to she a doctor about her eating and on and off sickness this year? Just confused about this all!!!

Thanks !!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:43 am

User avatar Hi rybakgirl,
There are so many influences in the world today, many negative, which affect childrens self esteem, ie, peer pressure, magazines, television, etc., which portray the "perfect image" and it is so very incorrect to most of the worlds population. Children can be incredibly cruel and maybe someone is making particular remarks that she is finding hurtful. For one thing, you may want to have a meeting with her teachers to express your concerns and find out exactly what's going on in the classroom and on the playground. You could also bring up subjects with her regarding how her day has went, if anything in particular happened in school, essentially, communication. You and her father promoting encouragement is of course a great thing and certainly should be continued. You may also want to see if she is interested in becoming involved in certain activities, as this will promote self esteem, a sense of accomplishment, etc. Also, take her in for a follow up, and have the physician express the importance of a healthy diet. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here