Question: Umbilical Hernia

jodster - Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:21 am

My daughter has just turned 19 months. About two montsh ago a buldge began to form over her belly button that my Gp has said is an umbilical hernia. I had a double one removed myself at 2 years old. Hers is about teh size of a small grape but gets bigger when she is crying, angry, etc. Anyhow, my Gp wants me to take her to the surgeon and said I will have to make a decision to get it removed. He said they are common inchildren at birth but when they appear after 6 montsh, tey will usually grow rather than disappear, but that the decision is completely mine. I am a bit concerned about anastetic(sp) at her young age but do not wnt to jeapordize her health in any way by leaving it.Is it something that can just go away on it's own or will teh waiting just in time cause more growth and possible complications. Any advice would be appreciated. ty in advamce jodster
 angel2close - Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Jodster,

If she were my daughter, I would have the surgery to have the hernia closed. Choose your anesthesiologist as carefully, if not more so, than her surgeon. Generally small children come through this type of surgery like a champ. I would not let it go and risk it enlarging or perhaps becoming strangulated.
It is very difficult to see your little one go into surgery. I had to do it with my own daughter twice before the age of two. Keep a good thought and best of luck to you both.

|