News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Umbilical Hernia

jodster - Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:21 am

My daughter has just turned 19 months. About two montsh ago a buldge began to form over her belly button that my Gp has said is an umbilical hernia. I had a double one removed myself at 2 years old. Hers is about teh size of a small grape but gets bigger when she is crying, angry, etc. Anyhow, my Gp wants me to take her to the surgeon and said I will have to make a decision to get it removed. He said they are common inchildren at birth but when they appear after 6 montsh, tey will usually grow rather than disappear, but that the decision is completely mine. I am a bit concerned about anastetic(sp) at her young age but do not wnt to jeapordize her health in any way by leaving it.Is it something that can just go away on it's own or will teh waiting just in time cause more growth and possible complications. Any advice would be appreciated. ty in advamce jodster
 angel2close - Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Jodster,

If she were my daughter, I would have the surgery to have the hernia closed. Choose your anesthesiologist as carefully, if not more so, than her surgeon. Generally small children come through this type of surgery like a champ. I would not let it go and risk it enlarging or perhaps becoming strangulated.
It is very difficult to see your little one go into surgery. I had to do it with my own daughter twice before the age of two. Keep a good thought and best of luck to you both.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here