News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Opinion PLEASE!!

shnncof - Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:40 pm

My daughter was born premature at 35 weeks but had many problems. She is now 8 months old and I saw her swatting at the back of her head the other day so I felt and she has 2 knots swollen .One knot on each side of her head near the hairline or like where the skull and neck would meet, so not down in the neck area wouldI say head area.They have always been there or where I could feel them but they are swollen now.The right more than the left and it seems the right one bothers her for she swats at the back of her head BUT when I press or bother with the knots she has no reaction at all.They are not moveable and are very hard! They are the size of nickels or larger. She acts fine no fever or any symptoms and nothing previous like a virus or anything so wandering if this is common?Since being born premature I worry about everything with her but her Dr. never does! I called and he said not to bring her in that it is very common in babies and to watch her for several weeks.Common or uncommon? Worry or not?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:21 am

User avatar Hi shnncof,
Sometimes lymph nodes enlarge due to seemingly insignificant bacterial/viral infections that may present in such a way that doesn't actually produce symptoms, ie, fever, obvious infection etc. These types of enlargements typically decrease in size over a short period of observation time, 3-4 weeks. Depending on an evaluation, symptoms, Increasing node size, etc. antibiotics may be recommended. If after a period of observation, persistence is encountered, further diagnostics are also recommended. Regarding the location that you have described, the suboccipital lymph node is located at the junction between the back of the head and neck. It drains the scalp and head. Common causes of enlargement include local infection. Your child's physician is most likely unconcerned at this point because of the most common cause of swelling in the area. However, I would still recommend that a clinical evaluation be completed, so that there is a basis for noting an increase or decrease in size. Call the physician's office back and request an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here