News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Burn (hand) in 3 year old - lots of questions!

spensaid0003 - Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:24 am

Hi, My 3 year old son touched a burner tuesday 9/26/06. I took him immediately to the doctor's office. They treated him & gave me Silvadine cream and told me to apply it & wrap it twice daily. I am going to try to upload a picture (If it shows up, I think you can click on it to view a larger version).

Should it be wrapped with a bunch of gauze or wrapped lightly with very little?

Should it be continuously wrapped or does it need some air?

The bandage came off last night - should I be worried about infection? The blisters have not yet broken.

Are there any questions that you can give me to ask my doctor? Or any advice you can give me.

Will he need therapy or plastic surgery? I know he needs to move it... but it is hard to move when bandaged (and he is very hesitant to move it when I change the bandages) - should I move his fingers for him? I try to encourage it when bandaged.

Thank you for any advice/help that you can give. I am worried so much about long term problems... but also worry about short term infections... I just worry :) ~Gina

Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:28 am

User avatar Hi spensaid0003,
My utmost apologies for not viewing this post prior to now. Burns should be wrapped with enough gauze to keep the area covered and the dressing intact. Generally speaking, antibiotics may be prescribed as a prophylactic measure. As for plastic surgery or physical therapy, that's dependent on the severity of the burn, ie., damaged structures, nerves, etc. are affected. According to the picture, this appears like a significant burn and it is certainly hoped the healthcare providers have followed closely. We hope the recovery has went well. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 spensaid0003 - Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:43 am

Thank you for replying. Silvadene cream worked amazingly! He touched the burner less than a month ago... and he is completely healed already. His skin is still slightly more pink than the rest... but hardly noticeable! He still favors that hand... but is slowly forgetting about it (he still talks about not touching the burner ever again!) We did follow up with our doctor many many times! This turned out to be an expensive accident... but I an grateful it was not any worse!!! Thanks so much... I love this website! ~Gina
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:19 am

User avatar Hi spensaid0003,
That is certainly a relief to hear that the situation has improved so well. The pinkness of the skin will fade with a little more time. The update and kind comments are most appreciated. Best wishes to you and yours.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here