Question: costochondritis for most of life - please i need advice

oddish - Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:51 am

My daughter has been suffering from costochondritis for the past 8 years. She is now 13 and was diagnosed with this affliction at the age of 5. For those of you not familiar with costochondritis it is inflammation of the cartilage of the ribcage. Over the years it has come and gone(attacks weekly or monthly) but over the past week her attacks (daily)of stabbing chest pain have been unbearable, even to the point of passing out. After another visit to the hospital 2 days ago, we came home with the same diagnosis and a recommendation of more rest, heat, and ibuprofen. I have asked for a second opinion many times and always get the same answer. I don't know what else to do. She is a very atheletic young girl and this is having a huge affect on her life. Last week she walked to the corner store and was brought home by some strangers who found her lying onthe side of road reeling in pain. I'm afraid for her to be alone anymore and her school has been less then understanding. She can't even play her trumpet anymore. I have a hard time believing that she has been suffering from this for 8 years and nothing can be done. Please, any advice would be appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:04 pm

User avatar Costochondritis can be a very painful condition. It does tend to come and go. Some physicians believe that once a person has costochondritis it never really goes away and can flare up again. costochondritis characteristically has pain that can be reproduced by pressing on the area where the pain occurs. If a similar pain is produced with pressure, it almost certainly is costochondritis.

For acute pain, anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen can be helpful. Heat and rest are also helpful. My experience with this is that it does tend to get better over time, but it can be a long, long time. If you are concerned that this is not the cause, it is always reasonable to ask for another evaluation.

Hope this helps.

|