Question: diarreha

barnegat917 - Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:46 am

My 13 month granddaughter has had constant diarreha for one week and has become a finnicky eater. We took her to the local health department and they said she was not dehyrdrated. They prescribed Nystatin/Triamcinolone Cream.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:49 pm

User avatar There are many, many causes of diarrhea in babies her age, including viruses and bacteria. Most resolve on their own without any problems. If she has had a fever, it is likely that she has an infectious cause-although lack of a fever doesn't rule this out. Your doctor may want to do a stool culture to look for bacteria.

There are other causes as well, particularly a disease called celiac disease (AKA celiac sprue) that can cause diarrhea. Additionally, dietary intake can cause it. Does your granddaughter drink a lot of juice? The sugars in the juice can draw water into the intestines and cause diarrhea.

I'm assuming that the cream was for a diaper rash. I try to never question another physicians care as I was not there. So, take this comment with a grain of salt. The triamcinolone/nystatin cream is a combination cream with a steroid and an antifungal respectively. Generally it is best to use one at a time. If the diaper rash has a red, spotty appearance (especially around the edges of the rash) it may be caused by a fungal infection and will need nystatin or a similar medication cream. If it's just red without the spots, it may be just an irritation diaper rash and needs some barrier type cream (zinc oxide for example).

Hope this helps.

|