News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 18 month old with armpit odor

susancavazos - Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:04 am

My 18 month old daughter has underarm odor with no visible rash or bumps. She is a preemie by 6 weeks and is also below the 5th percentile in weight. My pediatrician said not to worry about it but she also seemed surprised when I mentioned it. Could this be a hormonal problem? I thought you didn't get underarm odor until puberty.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:53 pm

User avatar Hello,

An axillary odor is a common sign for children with Premature adrenarche PA.
These children presents only with one or more of the following signs before the age of 8 years old:
-Curly pubic hair (not straight pubic hair)
-Axillary hair
-Axillary odor
-No other signs of puberty

This is probably due to increased release of the sex hormones from the adrenal glands.
No treatment is needed as it is a benign condition.

What you should do is:
- follow with your doctor every 6 months to see if there are any signs of precocious puberty (early puberty) which mandates further investigations.

Signs you should be aware of and inform your doctor immediately once you observe any of them, include:
-acne appearance
- Being taller than his or her peers.
- abnormal changes in the sexual organs (growing breasts) or the appearance of any secondary sexual changes other than those in the above list.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here