Question: swelling in my neck??

phillyeagles - Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:24 pm

I am an 18 year old male and wondering if anyone has any advice. I've had a cold for like 2 months now but recently i tried dip (tobacco) for only the second time and it seems my condition got worse right after that. In addition to being a little stuffed up and coughing from time to time i now have some post nasal drip and my neck feels swollen. I've been to the doctor and she said she didn't feel anything abnormal minus a little swelling. I'm wondering if these symptoms could be related to the tobacco and if i should be worried? Is it possible to develop cancer after trying something like that only twice, and if so is it possible for it to develop in like 3-4 days? Could i be overreacting to a worsening in my cold? I don't know but i generally get worried about things like this so any help would be appreciated
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:35 pm

First of all, your symptoms are suggestive of recurrent upper respiratory tract infection which is very common in allergic people and in most of the cases due to viral infections.

Second, The risk of lung cancer is related to the total lifetime exposure to cigarette smoke, this is measured by the number of cigarettes smoked per day, and the total duration of smoking in years. The earlier the exposure the higher the risk. So, this is not applied to your case at all.

But it is clear that you are sensitive to cigarette smoking since your condition get worse after trying tobacco, so you better avoid even passive exposure.

|