Question: Can you figure this one out?

aarony - Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:24 pm

Friday afternoon - I visit a drop in medical clinic because I have a sore throat. I received 2 days worth of penecillin to take while doctor #1 awaits the swab results to see if I have strep throat.

Friday evening- I get a high fever.

Saturday Day and Evening- Several sessions of fever and my sore throat gets worse. I'm taking tylenol extra strength along with the penicillin.

Sunday evening- I can't stand the fever so I go to the ER. I tell them that doctor #1 suspects that I may have strep throat but the test results won't be back for atleast another day. The doc#2 prescribes Amoxicillin, T3's and morphine for me.

Mon+ Tues- I take all 3 meds. I continue to have really bad sore throat and sessions of high fever.

Wed- I go to another medical clinic and see doc #3 because I'm not getting any better and its been awhile already. The doc suggests that I get a monospot. The fevers stop but I still have the sore throat. At night I started having chest coughs and started sweating.

Today- I go back to see doc #1. He says he got the results for my swab and it was negative. So I don't have strep throat. He also suspects that I have mono. So I go and get a blood test done. The results should be available tomorrow. He takes another swab because my throat is white and pusy not red like it was on Saturday.

So it looks like I have mono? What if its NOT mono? What do I have then? I hear its unlikely that I have mono because I'm 28yrs old.

Anyways, I'm currently just taking tylenol cold for the cough. I haven't had any fever since yesterday afternoon. I do get a rush of temperature change to my body though. Cold then hot then I sweat a lot.

Thanks for your time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:47 pm

User avatar Several things can cause a sore throat such as you describe. Strep throat is the one that most people think of right away. It tends to cause a very severe sore throat and fever without much of a cough. (If you have a bad cough, it's probably not strep.)

Mononucleosis, an infection caused by Ebstein Barr Virus, can cause a very severe sore throat also. At age 28 it is less likely that you would get mono, since most people have already been infected with EBV by that age; however, it is possible. Blood tests should easily confirm this for you. A test called the monospot test is a good one for you.

Several other virus's can cause sore throats as well. The important thing is to stay hydrated and continue to follow up with your doctor.

One thing I wasn't sure about from your post. Are you taking both the penicillin and the amoxicillin at the same time? If so, this is not necessary. Your doctor can decide which one is best for you, but if you don't have strep, you may not need either.

Hope you feel better soon!
 aarony - Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:58 pm

No, I didn't take penecillin and amoxicillin simultaneously. I only had 2 days worth of penecillin and finished it before I started on the amoxicillin.

Today I noticed that my sore throat has gotten better but it still hurts for me to drink anything but water. Also my cough had gotten worst. My chest cough is now full on. The cough just started the day before yesterday. I just hope whatever I have will end soon.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the results of my bloodtest to see if I have mono or not. I hope I hear from my doc soon!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:15 pm

User avatar Another possibility, particularly with the cough, is an infection with mycoplasma. This is commonly known as atypical pneumonia. It requires a different antibiotic from the ones you've taken. Generally, it can be diagnosed with a chest x-ray that looks typical of this infection. Blood tests can also be done.

Monospot results generally come back quickly, so hopefully you'll find out soon.
 aarony - Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Well still no calls from the doctor so I guess I don't have mono. I'm going to go to the medical clinic again today because this chest cough is bad. Also I've noticed that the other side of my throat is starting to hurt now! SIgh....I've been sick for a week now and just when I thought I was getting better something else happens.

Hopefully I don't have pneumonia.

|