Question: 5 yo with swollen lymp node

cyrbot - Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:34 pm

I have a 5 yo boy who has had a history of ear infections from infancy. At 9mo he got tubes and again at age 4. Last year he complained of neck pain and was subsequently admitted in the Hospital due to the swollen lymph nodes and fever. They intially thought it could be cat scratch, lukemia and other diseases. He was finally diagnosed with infected lymphnodes after many blood tests. They did the test that is sedimentary (sp?) and they said it was fine. Now he has a swollen lymph node on the right side and no other symptoms. Should I be concerned? I am wondering if something like lymphoma or lukemia could have been missed even though they were testing for all of it? Your help is very much appriciated and respected. Thank You!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:29 am

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer.

Sometimes, following infection Lymph nodes remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

Children with history of recurrent upper ear, throat infections tend to have clinically palpable lymph nodes. So, the probability that the lymph node you have noticed is due to previous infection in the area drained by this lymph node group is highly possible.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter.

Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring.

I advise you to follow with your doctor for proper examination (to confirm if it is LN ) and further management accordingly.

Keep us updated.

|