News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: MRSA Question

terrilh - Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 pm

My grandmother just passed away, she had with MRSA in her lungs. We have her funeral in a couple of days, but I am concerned bringing my infant and toddler around the family members that had visited my grandma while she was in isolation. They did wear gowns and masks and washed their hands but I know that MRSA is nothing to mess with, should I be concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:45 am

User avatar I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

MRSA is a type of staphylococcus aureus bacteria that has become resistant to methycillin. In doing so, it has also become slightly more prone to causing skin infections and a few other infections. Other than this, it really is just a common staph bacteria.

In my area, about 50% of staph is MRSA. The prevalence rate varies from place to place, but MRSA is becoming much more common than it used to be. About a third of people will be colonized with staph aureus (i.e. it grows normally on the skin and in the nose most commonly). Of those, some have MRSA.

There really is no special safety precautions that need to be taken and it is safe for your children to be around your family members.

Occasionally, if a person seems to be getting recurrent skin infections from MRSA one can attempt to irradicate the MRSA from the skin using some skin washes and nasal antibiotics. For most people colonized with MRSA it is not a problem.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here