Question: lymphocytes high

Chris1215 - Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:52 am

I have 6 year boy who has been sick every 2 months for the last year with sinus infections, sore throat, sometimes a fever. He has been on numerous antibiotics. It clears up then is back in about 2 months. He has had the stomach virus (vomiting, fever x 3 days) 4 times since August. We did a CBC on him when he was NOT sick and his lymphocytes were high at 66. Every thing else was normal. Doctor's office said he has a virus. He has no symptons of illness. What is going on with him? What else could cause lymphocytes to be high?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:03 pm

User avatar Do you know the total WBC count at the time the lymphocytes were 66%.

A lymphocyte percentage of 66% is really only a little elevated. Generally, lymphocyte elevations do go along with viral infections.

The one thing I would be a little interested in knowing is what was his neutrophil count during this time? Was it low? When you mention that he has been getting sick every 2 months it brings to mind a condition known as cyclic neutropenia. This is a rare condition and presents with the neutrophils (a type of white blood cell that helps fight off bacterial and other infections) dropping to very low levels in a cyclic pattern, usually about every six to eight weeks. If his neutrophil count has been normal during these episodes it is very unlikely that he has this but it may be something to consider.

Hope this helps.
 Chris1215 - Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:09 pm

I do not know what the other values were. The nurse just told me that everything else fell in the "Normal" range. This is the first time he has has blood work so I don't know if the neutrophils have ever been low. We just did this last Saturday. How long should I wait and maybe repeat it again? As far as the lymphocytes can you have a virus and not have any symptoms at all??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:30 am

User avatar If all the other values were "normal" it is unlike that he has neutropenia. Generally, this is noticed and addressed as it can be an important issue in treating infections.

If your child is doing well he does not really need a repeat blood test. It is quite possible to have some mild lymphocyte elevation without symptoms, especially if he recently was sick or possibly is fighting off a virus that isn't really causing any infection (i.e. the immune system is working well).

If he continues to have symptoms you may consider having his CBC repeated.
 Chris1215 - Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 pm

Just wanted to say Thank you for your reply. This website is wonderful for us over-protective moms.:)

|