Question: 3 yo delayed speech, oxygen deprivation during birth

hippieluv2001 - Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi, my 3 yo boy has been having trouble with speech and social skills. I have been dealing with Help Me Grow and have tried speech therapy, which he refused to participate in. I had his hearing tested, which he passed with flying colors. My next step is to get a referral to a neurologist.
He can speak in full sentences, but only at his leisure. He now will give us hugs, but only when he wants a hug. He makes eye contact, but again it is at his leisure. I know he hears and understands, but he doesn't usually try to respond.
When I was in labor with him, his heartrate dropped into the 30's and 40's for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then, during delivery, his heartrate again dropped into the 30's and 40's for about 10 more minutes.
Could his heartrate dropping (due to cord compression) have contributed, or even caused, his delayed speech and antisocial behavior? If so, what could be wrong and who would I take him to to find out a diagnosis for treatment? Does this sound like autism to anyone else? I don't want to make it worse on him by taking him to a neurologist for testing if it isn't something that I should be concerned with. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. We have been dealing with this issue for about a year and a half now. I need to figure this out. Thank you very much!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:24 pm

User avatar Given your description I would be a little concerned about the possibility of autism or one of the autism spectrum disorders. I would suggest that you see his pediatrician and discuss this with him. If you have one in your area a developmental pediatrician will be your best resource for diagnosis and treatment of developmental type issues.

Regarding the low heart rate, hypoxia at birth more commonly is associated with cerebral palsy, etc., rather than social/behavioral disorders; however, it will be difficult for anyone to say for certain that such an event did or did not have a part in his condition. That is unless he is ultimately diagnosed with a condition known to be unrelated to perinatal hypoxia.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

|