Question: purple hands

fabi_2792 - Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:10 pm

I am 15, I am a female, i haven't been taking any medications, but i went to the doctor because every time i am cold, my hands, feet, and legs turn purple. The doctors i went to said it was normal, but i know it is not, because when they turn purple i can't move them. What should i do please help me.[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:33 pm

User avatar After they turn purple, do they turn any other colors? What you are describing has a few possibilities. First, it is quite common for hands and feet to get cold and become bluish in color because the blood flow to those areas is decreased to retain body heat. This leads to some venous congestion and "non-dangerous" decreases in oxygen levels that give the bluish color. If severe enough this can cause the extremities to feel numb/tingly. This is considered a normal response to cold temperatures and some people have more pronounced responses than others.

Another thought is a condition known as Raynaud's syndrome. This is very similar to the above described situation but is dramatically more painful and decreased circulation can be more severe. It typically affects the fingers and toes the most-even to the point of causing them to appear white from significantly decreased circulation of blood.

Treatment of Raynaud's (as well as "normal" cooling) is primarily by preventing the extremities from getting cold. If Raynaud's is more severe there are some medications that may help also.

Hope this helps. Let us know how things go.

|