Question: My son's eye colour had changed

sammymac - Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:11 pm

My son is 4 and has recently become very difficult to handle ( almost terrible 2's again) but this evening I noticed that is very bright blue eyes have changed - one is still a pale blue and the other is now green what is going on ? and is this linked to his sudden bad behaviour?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:46 pm

User avatar Eye color is determined by the amount of pigment in the iris (the colored portion of the eye. Typically light skinned babies will be born with grey or blue eyes. Darker skinned babies may have brown or dark colored eyes at birth.

Eye color begins to become a more adult color around six months of age typically. Often by about one year of age the eyes have taken their adult color; however, in some people eye color can continue to change-even into adulthood.

Typically the eyes are the same color but not uncommonly the eyes will have different colors. It appears that your son did not read the textbook and his eyes continued to change after one year of age. They may or may not ultimately stay their current color.

It is unlikely that your son's eye color change is related to his behavior. During this age children often will attempt to reexert their independence by being disobedient. Consistency is crucial during this age. This way he learns that what is no today is still no tomorrow. It can be quite difficult but ultimately the rewards of discipline now pay off in the future.

Best wishes during this time. Hope this helps.

|