News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 19 month old with constantly smelly feet

mommy2boys - Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:35 am

A little background: my son has very sweaty feet, he had athlete's foot at around 10 months old. Even after a bath his feet still smell. Is there anything I can do to combat the smell? Could this be a symptom of another problem? When we're home he goes without shoes or socks, I usually only put him in light colored cotton socks and sneakers when we go out. During the summer I try to get him to wear sandals.

Thanks in advance, Kim
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:54 pm

User avatar Hello, sorry for the delay in replying.

Body odor is typically a result of androgen hormone action. Typically, before puberty androgen levels are low in both boys and girls. Thus, body odor in young children should warrent evaluation.

The presence of body odor may indicate an increased androgen level. Other signs that this may be occuring are accelerated growth (I.e. your son seems to be taller than most kids his age.) and axillary or pubic hair.

I would suggest that you discuss this with your pediatrician. There are some blood tests that may be useful. These would include an electrolyte panel to look for abnormalities that may be indicative of a partial congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), TSH/T4 to test the thyroid, and various tests to look at androgen levels directly.

If all these end up normal, it is likely that all is well; however I would suggest continuing to follow with your doctor and monitoring for any accelerations in growth, etc. that may occur in the future. Basically an annual well child check.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here