News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Cause for concern?

SJTSimmons - Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:47 pm

My two year old son is uncircumsized and has developed a rash under his foreskin. It looks almost like a blood blister and is a little swollen and tender to the touch. He is almost completely potty trained and my husband said he doesn't need to have his penis wiped after he pees, so I haven't been wiping him. He gets baths daily and the foreskin is pulled back to wash under it. When he has an accident he is changed immediately. He is still in a diaper at nightsince he hasn't mastered waking to go pee yet. I have started putting Neosporin on it 3 to 4 times a day and it is getting better. Is this just an irritation, or is it infected? Do I need to wipe under the foreskin after he pees?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:22 pm

User avatar The intact or uncircumcised penis requires little specific care. Normal external cleaning at diaper changes and external washing with soap and water during bathtime are all that is necessary.
It is important that you do not try to retract the foreskin or try to clean underneath it with Q-tips. This can cause pain, bleeding or permanent damage to the penis. There is no need for any special ointments or creams, either. Normal soap and water work just fine.

As for the rash it should be examined by his pediatrician.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here