Question: Cause for concern?

SJTSimmons - Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:47 pm

My two year old son is uncircumsized and has developed a rash under his foreskin. It looks almost like a blood blister and is a little swollen and tender to the touch. He is almost completely potty trained and my husband said he doesn't need to have his penis wiped after he pees, so I haven't been wiping him. He gets baths daily and the foreskin is pulled back to wash under it. When he has an accident he is changed immediately. He is still in a diaper at nightsince he hasn't mastered waking to go pee yet. I have started putting Neosporin on it 3 to 4 times a day and it is getting better. Is this just an irritation, or is it infected? Do I need to wipe under the foreskin after he pees?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:22 pm

User avatar The intact or uncircumcised penis requires little specific care. Normal external cleaning at diaper changes and external washing with soap and water during bathtime are all that is necessary.
It is important that you do not try to retract the foreskin or try to clean underneath it with Q-tips. This can cause pain, bleeding or permanent damage to the penis. There is no need for any special ointments or creams, either. Normal soap and water work just fine.

As for the rash it should be examined by his pediatrician.

|