Question: My 1 year old has an unknown rash

proudmommy - Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:17 am

My 1 year old daughter got an infected sliver in her wrist about a week ago. She didnt have a fever but had broken out with a rash under the skin. The doctor said it was not related so he put her on agmenton for the sliver and benadryl for the rash. The sliver has healed and gone away. Yet now she has a rash on her that is ontop of the skin. Its on her cheeks and and down her arms. She is also teething and very fussy. Any ideas of what could be causing this rash?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:58 am

User avatar There are many causes of rashes including reactions to allergens or medications, viruses, bacterial infections and fungal infections as well as several diseases that are rashes in themselves such as eczema. Most of the rashes due to viruses and allergens will go away by themselves and with benadryl respectively. Bacterial rashes generally go away when the bacterial infection is cleared up. Fungal rashes often resolve spontaneously but may need some treatment for the underlying infection. Eczema, etc. often have specific treatments to help them improve.

Is there any chance you can post a picture of the rash?

I would recommend that you have your child evaluated by your pediatrician again to reassess the rash. Verbal descriptions of rashes are difficult and never really do justice to a direct examination.

Best wishes. Sorry I am not of more help.

|