Question: My 18 month old shakes on waking up - everytime

CandiR - Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:56 pm

First off I would like to say thank you for your help. My question is about my 18 month old. I have read through all the posts and didn't see anything like this...

Let me get into a little history of mother and dad for my son. My husband the father has torrets(ticks) and add or adhd I don't know which one. I have depression and hormonal imbalences. My 18 month old when he wakes up or gets woken up (EVERYTIME) he shakes... and I don't mean like a seizure but not light either. Its his whole body but mainly from belly botton up. And it doesn't only happen when he wakes up its when he drops something or gets mad or fustrated and other times. I can't for sure say everything that makes him shake. because it happens so much we have all gotten used to it and don't pay any mind to it.. unless he starts really bad.. I hate to see him get woke up though because he shakes so bad it makes me freak out. I have taken him to his doctor and she said it was normal. Now I have asked around to other moms and they said their kids have NEVER done it and it is not normal. I have never known of this happening. He gets a lot of sleep and is active like a normal 18 month old. I don't know how else to explain it. I thought it might be torrets pasted down from his dad and I asked the doc about that to and she said torrets is a clinical diagnosed thing not a specialist and the shaking is normal. I just need help. I know its not normal and I want to make sure He will be okay! Thank you
 CandiR - Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Also might at add that his father had seizers as a kid.. I want to say and an infant then as a 3 yr old. thats when they found that he had torrets. he hasn't has any since.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:04 pm

User avatar It is unlikely that these are seizures. I say this because seizures that involve both sides of the body essentially require the patient to be unconcious. This would not be possible while standing (he would fall to the floor). Also, it would be extremely uncommon for Tourette's to develop at this young age.

It is possible that it is a learned behavior to certain startle conditions. It is also possible that he has an exagerated startle response. These are both relatively normal things.

The main thing to notice are: 1) Are they becoming more severe? 2) is your son continuing to meet his developmental milestones? and 3) are there any associated findings such as after the episode he seems unresponsive is he complaining of other neurological symptoms such as headaches, difficulty walking, etc.

Continued follow up with your doctor is important to ensure normal growth and development continues.

If there is concern, you may consider requesting an evaluation by a developmental pediatrician.

|