Question: My son occaisionally has a strange fit

Steveivey - Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:44 pm

My son is 9 years old and he is suffering from a kind of fit that seems to be happening more often.
They seem to happen just before he goes to bed especially if he has a bit of a temperature, the pupils of his eyes go very large and he is scared to look at things saying "everything is slowing down" he also feels the need to stamp around, pick things up and put them down again jump on things and off them and all of these things are done in a kind of fear of everything because of the way it looks to him. He is fully awake during them but seems completly different in the things he says while they are happening he has even started hitting me during one as he appeared not to know me for that instance , which is very out of character.
When he was 1 he had a febrol convulsion which is the only possibly relevent health issue I can offer.
Any help you can offer would be much appreciated
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:33 pm

User avatar It sounds as if your son is having a panic attack. This causes a release of epinephrine and its counterparts that explains the dilated pupils.

Some forms of seizures are more common during the time of awakening and going to sleep. It is possible that this represents a frontal lobe seizure. I've seen very interesting manifestations of seizures such as this before.

I would suggest that you discuss having an EEG and possibly a sleep study done.

It is also possible that there is some emotional trigger to these episodes that is not obvious. In these cases a child psychologist can be very helpful. First I would look into the possibility of seizures, etc.

Best wishes. Keep us updated.

|