Question: 17 yr old daughter suddenly very sick!!!!!!!

suzzieqs - Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:30 am

Hi I have a 17 yr old daughter that up until a year and a half ago was very healthy. Never sick other than colds and such. A yr and a half ago we found out she had Interstitial cystitis (IC). then in late december of this year she developed a very sever DVT that started 3 inches below your right lung and ran down the right side of her body to just below mid calf. At the same time we also found out that she has (PID) Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, four diffrent types of blood disorders that affect cloting and that she has cysts on her overies. Now last monday we found out that she has Polycystic Ovaries really bad and may not be able to ever get pregnat even with fertillity drug theropy and fiberious cysts in her breast and they are also checking her thyroid to see if her levels are low. Also she has high cholostrol, this is strange since I have always provide a very well balanced diet for all my children, and suffers from low blood sugars now also. My main question is why is she so sick all of a sudden and if all these diseases could be symptoms of a something else. She is just about to the end of her rope and on monday broke down crying because she can't take much more. She is starting to have some depression about all this. Also her dad and I were wondering what type of doctor we could take her to that could help us find the causes of all the illness. Right now we are seeing 4 diffrent doctors and they don't really communicate with each other. Any help would be appreciated.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:57 am

User avatar Dear Susieqs:
I am so sorry your daughter is having so many medical problems right now. Sometimes, especially with gynecological problems they do not show up until the hormone levels from puberty are well established. Diet is not usually a major contributor to the many problems she seems to be having. As to seeing one doctor for all these issues, that may not be the best course. Your daughter is dealing with so many different body system problems that she may do better with specialists in those areas rather than trying to find a physician who may not have the expertise in all these areas. Because of the issues of being so young and dealing with so many life-changing diseases, I really recommend she receive couseling to learn how to adjust her life to be able to cope not only with how the disease affects her but in how to live a full life in spite of them. Learning to cope with illness is hard, even for an adult, and she may greatly benefit from support and treatment from a counselor or therapist to help her to deal with these issues.
I wish you both well,
Carolyn LPN

|