News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 17 Year Old Male With Back Pain and Fever

meowmix435 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:11 pm

Age/Sex: 17 year old male

Symptoms:
Persistent Lower Back Pain on Right Side
Constant fever of 101, sometimes spiking up to 104, for 6 days
Fatigue
Shaking Chills
Near Fainting
Vomiting

Current Medications: Zyrtec for allergies, Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen to reduce fever

He went to see a doctor on the 3rd day of these symptoms. The doctor recommended drinking fluids and eating light foods. However, he hasn't improved at all. Could this be a virus? What concerns me is the back pain. Is a Urinary Tract or Kidney Infection possible? Thank you so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:02 pm

User avatar Did the doctor run any blood or urine tests? This would be the best way to detect infection. The kidneys are protected by the ribcage so the pain of a kidney infection would probably not be as low as you describe here, though pain can radiate to other parts of the body besides the point of origin.

Of course it could be viral but if the fever spikes to 104 I would think more testing should be done to find out why. I assume he isn't suffering from a stiff neck along with this (which could indicate meningitis). I think I would either return to the doctor who saw him or get a second opinion.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here