Question: tiny red dots on 18 mo. olds's cheeks

ajhunter27 - Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:22 am

My 18 month old has several tiny red dots on her face, at the tops of her cheeks. They are not raised; they look like they are actually under the skin and they don't bother her at all (kind of like red freckles below the skin surface). She does currently have a fever of 101.7 but I noticed these dots a couple of days ago. She's had several high fevers so far this year. Any idea what they are?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:33 pm

User avatar There are several possibilities. The initial description does sound likely to be a viral rash. Sometimes the rash can precede the fever.

It may also be simply some clogged pores in her skin.

If they are not resolving or begin bothering her you may want to have her examined by her doctor.

ajhunter27 - Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:42 am

Now she has more in her diaper area and a few on her ankles and her fever is gone.
 tiredmom82 - Sat May 19, 2007 3:42 pm

my daughter just recently had this happen to her she had a low grade fever for about 2 weeks and it came with a rash to at first the doctor thought that it was just a viral rash. The rash that you are describing is that of what my daughter had it was on her face, mainly all over but worse on her buttox. I was not convinced viral but the doctors wanted to watch her so they did. Two days after her fever went down it came back and there were more symptoms she didnt want to walk her ankles and her knees were bothering her so i rushed her to the er scared out of my mind. Come to find out the rash on her body was purpura, perticki how ever you spell it. Basically tiny spots of blood pooling under her skin. They checked her white blood count and that was high. She had blood in her urine and she was pale and looked awful. The er doctor knew what it was he diagnosed my daughter with henoch-sholiens-purpura. Its RARE but it can be serious i would watch you child and go with your gut feeling. Thankfully my baby escaped with out any kidney damage and she is currently ok, even the athritis like symptoms went away and her counts look better. If its this then if it is bad then your child would be bad off if it was a bad case. Im not by any means trying to scare you, but HSP is often started by a virus and i think that your child needs to be looked at more closely. Good Luck!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 19, 2007 6:02 pm

User avatar Tiredmom82, thanks for the input. Interestingly, Henoch-Schonlein purpura probably isn't as rare as we once thought. I see a case of it about once a year.

With HSP, the rash will almost always involve the lower extremities and bottocks with less involvement of the arms and head.

Checking for kidney involvement is important because this is one of the significant complications of HSP.

|