Question: Red dots appear with needle poking feeling when i get hot

johndeerefan - Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:54 am

18 yo Male
Ok I have had this problem for about a month and i don't really know what it is. Everytime i get hot or i am out in the sun or do anything to raize my body temp. I break out in all these little red dots that are all over my body, back, legs, neck, chest, and arms. Some times they have a white dot in the middle of them. When they come on they feel like thousands of needles are poking me. When i come in side and eather get a ice pack or jump in the shower with ice cold water it goes away. No more poking and no more red dots. I also noticed that when i get hot i do not sweat. I feel my arm and there is no sweat on it what so ever. I have tried prickly heat powder and it was doing beter but now it is back and worse then it was. I shower at least once every day and some times i shower 2 times a day. I went to our local hostpidal and all they said was "I don't know what to tell you." I have been on a antihistamine and it doesn't seem to help any.
Thanks for your time
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 am

User avatar Dear Johndeerefan,
Sounds like you are afflicted with anhidrosis - an inability to sweat. The symptoms you describe are commonly called "heat rash" or "prickly heat". The description you give is exactly how these bumps appear, and the manner in which you eliminate them also the easiest way to do so. I would however suggest you discuss your concerns with your physician, because the cause of your anhidrosis may lead to more serious concerns than simply a rash, and needs to be identified. Also, the inability to sweat means you have the potential to become severely dehydrated and overheated, since sweating is our primary way of eliminating excessive heat from our bodies. Your family physician can tell you what tests are necessary to identify the source of your problem. In the meantime, as we approach summer, please guard yourself from becoming overheated, and be sure to be drinking enough water to support toxin removal and hydration.

|