News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: NIPPLE THRUSH

janeshcherba - Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:35 pm

HOw do I know if I got a nipple yeast infection. My nipples resentlly became deep pink color and itch. I noticed pain while pumping milk only once, maybe a week ago, and once I had some shooting pain without breastfeeding or pumping. What can this be? Docotor told me it's nipple thrush, my baby has no symptoms, my only symptoms are red nipples and itching. My mother tells me there is no such thign as nipple thrush. My docotor told me to treat myself and the baby who has no symptoms. IS this the right thing to do. What else can be causing this. I pump most of the time, because my kiddo has a hard time at the breast, but this is the first time my nipples got this bad. IS this nipple thrush for sure? HOw to I treat it properlly, how soon will this go away, how do I knwo my child is not infected or is infected if he has no symptoms?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:44 am

User avatar Thrush in a baby presents as white spots or patches often on the tongue and cheeks that don't easily wipe off. If a baby is breast feeding the mother should treat her nipples when the baby has thrush.

It is absolutely possible for a mother to get a thrush infection on her nipples. Often the symptoms are described as a cracked or burning feeling. Some have described it as pins and needles.

Treatment is relatively simple. If one is not breast feeding, over-the-counter clotrimazole can be applied 3 times per day until 3 days after the symptoms have resolved. If the mother is breast feeding, nystatin shoud be used and the baby should be treated orally with a nystatin solution until both mom and baby are symptom free for 3 days.

If you're unsure about the diagnosis you should see your doctor. Your symptoms may also be due to a slight bacterial infection of the breast.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here