Question: Kernicterus in newborn

pkayley - Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:59 am

If bilirubin at level 228 on day 9 and level 165 on day 13, can a graph be produced back to day 5 bilirubin to determine if late jaundice diagnosis has caused Kernicterus in my newborn child.

He now arches his back and apears drowsy. Eyes roll upwards on falling to sleep.

Very concerned that baby now has brain damage as doctors did not do bilirubin test until we noticed sleepness and yellowness on day 9. After diagnosis doctors said it was not high enough to warrant photo therapy, now concerned more mistakes made.

any help useful
 Dr. Elias Barrios MD - Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:52 pm

I am not sure if you meant 22.3 or 223 , in fact I have never seen or heard of such I high level , so most probably you meant 22.3.
In case of that the risk is that the unconjugated bilirubin reaches the brain especially one part which is called the basal ganglia in a very important amount and causes irreversible damage to the brain. This level requires phototherary and the smaller the baby the more risk of brain damage. Definitely the baby needed phototherapy and monitoring of the bilirrubin leves till he reached a safe level to prevent brain damage.

for further information , please feel free to contact me.
Dr. Elias Barrios

|