Question: cognitive delay in children

shey - Wed May 09, 2007 6:53 pm

My 8 yr old daughter was diagnosed by a Developmental Pediatrician and she was said to have Mild Cognitive Delay. Tests results showed that her mental age is that of a 5 year old, and thus she was transferred to a special education school. Does this mean my daughter is mentally retarded? Is it advisable to place her is a class of severely delayed children?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 10, 2007 12:08 pm

User avatar This would depend on lots of factors. I do not know where you live but in the USA you would be able to keep her in the regular public school (mainstream) if that was your choice. Some children do better in a school designed to accommodate their special needs. Some do well being mainstreamed with additional help from special service providers such as special education teachers, etc. I would check with your school district personnel who handle disabilities to find out what your options are. I'm sure she will benefit from some special attention and education but the exact setting for this is not clear to me. It does sound like hers is a mild disability and this could be a drastic measure. I would advise a complete evaluation including an individualized education plan that you are comfortable with. If you don't get the answers you need, keep going up the chain until you find someone who will address your concerns. You should have some choices.
 shey - Thu May 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm from Rizal, Philippines. I'm very hesitant to place my child in a class of severely retarded children. My daughter is generally well-behaved and obeys when prodded. I am worried that she might progress slowly and she might imitate undesirable behavior. Your advise enlightened me and I think I really should insist that since my child's case is only "mild", she should be in a vertical or mainstreaming group. The nearest SPED school from us is not a very big school, that is why I think they cannot afford to strictly segregate children according to their individual cases. Anyway, I appreciate your spending time in giving your opinion. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 16, 2007 10:56 am

User avatar I'm glad to know you are a concerned mother, looking for the best educational and developmental opportunities for your child. Your being actively involved will be an asset to her throughout her school years I'm sure. Don't be afraid to be assertive when needed. Good luck.

|